Friday, August 2, 2013

My Heart Defect Is Too Much Awesome

I like the question of, if your parent is diagnosed with a fatal hereditary condition with no known cure and you have a 50 percent chance of also having the condition, do you get tested to find out. I mean, it's a shitty situation, but it's so intriguing. The decision probably says a lot about the person, though I don't know what.

The last time I was in a cardiologist's office, I was instructed to get a physical before attempting any sort extreme physical undertaking. I ran a marathon in 2:49:40 last fall, and never took that doctor's visit. The prospect of running 26 miles, let alone at under 6:30/mile, may have the potential to destroy my heart. I think the odds are low though. Either way, I'd rather die living life the way I want than live a timid existence. I admire those that would forgo treatments like chemotherapy when they're not given a high chance to live, and choose to get the most bang out of their last few months on earth.

I would in no way, shape, or form compare my experience to that. It's just a fun thought experiment I was lucky enough to experience to a small degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment